Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Department
Plastic surgery is that specialty of medicine that makes use of a number of surgical and nonsurgical procedures to modify the appearance and function of a person's body. Plastic surgery procedures include both cosmetic enhancements as well as functionally reconstructive operations.
In the cosmetic enhancement procedures, aesthetics are considered more important than functionality,here plastic surgery is also referred to as cosmetic surgery. Most procedures involve both aesthetic and functional elements. The basic goals of plastic surgery are:
Plastic surgeons may mold and reshape the bone, cartilage, muscle, fat and skin. It involves procedures like:
• Tissues may be moved to fill in depressions, to cover wounds, or to improve appearance.
• Tissues may be completely removed to alter the contours of a feature.
Reconstructive plastic surgery is usually performed to improve function, but it may be done to approximate a normal appearance. It is performed to correct functional impairments caused by:
• traumatic injuries, such as facial bone fractures
• congenital abnormalities such as cleft lip, cleft palate
• developmental abnormalities
• infections or diseases
• removal of cancers or tumors, such as a mastectomy
Most of the aesthetic/cosmetic procedures are known by their common names :
More Info(Click on picture to enlarge)